Travel for as long as 120 days with up to £10 million medical emergency cover, £5,000 baggage cover and more.
If you're a regular holidaymaker, our annual travel insurance gives you the benefits of single trip all year round.
Need to check your Saga policy documents, make a claim, change your details or contact us? Find out how here.
All Saga Travel Insurance policies provide cover for cruises, including some benefits specific to cruise-goers.
We cover most pre-existing conditions, have no upper age limit and are there for you in a medical emergency.
Enjoy some quiet time in one of more then 950 airport lounges if your flight is delayed by over an hour.
Want to know more about Saga Travel Insurance? Here are the answers to the questions we're asked most often.
Don't let politics stop you going on holiday. Here's what you need to know about travelling after Brexit.
Booked your trip and thinking about travel insurance? When you’re looking to compare travel insurance, don’t settle for less.
Saga’s Defaqto 5 Star rated travel insurance includes much more than the basics, as standard. We go above and beyond to ensure you can travel with confidence.
Saga’s range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Travel Insurance is underwritten by Astrenska Insurance Limited, which meets our high standards of quality and service.
Cover for COVID-19 with Saga Travel Insurance
- Cancellation – If you, a close relative or anyone you are planning to travel with or stay with, receives, in writing, a positive test result for coronavirus within 14 days of your trip commencing, or if you are certified as too ill to travel due to COVID-19 by a medical practitioner, we will pay you up to the amount shown in your policy Schedule for your share of any irrecoverable unused travel and accommodation (including excursions), and other pre-paid charges you have paid or are contracted to pay.
- Abandonment – If you, a close relative or anyone you are travelling with or staying with receives in writing, a positive test result for coronavirus during your trip we will pay for unused travel and accommodation (including excursions), and other pre-paid charges which you have paid or are contracted to pay provided you are forced to cut your trip short, up to £10,000.
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation – up to £10,000,000 (up to £2,000,000 for trips within the UK) – this means associated emergency medical expenses and costs to return you back home following falling ill with COVID-19 on your trip.
If you travel to a country where the FCDO has advised against all but essential travel, you'll have no cover in place for any policy section if the reason for your claim is related to why the FCDO advice is in place. Subject to there being no other Government restrictions in place prohibiting travel. If you travel for essential reasons, see our list of what is deemed essential, then you will have full policy coverage in place.
To find out more about what we cover for COVID-19, please visit our Travel insurance and coronavirus page.
What’s included with Saga Travel Insurance
- No upper age limit – the policyholder must be over 50
- Comprehensive cover such as for medical, cancellation and baggage
- Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
- Option to protect up to 9 family and friends of any age, even if they travel without you (on annual multi-trip cover)
- Cover for over 40 popular leisure activities, plus optional leisure and winter sports activities.
Find out more about what's included with our policies:
Additional features of Saga Travel Insurance that are included as standard
In addition to the cover features that you might expect from your travel insurance, Saga provides so much more so that you can travel with complete confidence:
If you need to move to different accommodation at any time during the trip because your booked accommodation becomes unusable, due to:
- Natural disaster such as an earthquake or hurricane; or
- Insolvency of the providers of your accommodation; or
- An outbreak of food poisoning or infectious disease.
You can claim up to £5,000 to cover additional accommodation and transport costs incurred.
End Supplier Failure
We will cover you for costs up to £1,500 to replace your flight tickets should your scheduled airline become insolvent before or after departure.
If you can’t reach your destination, return to your pre-booked accommodation or return home, you can claim £100 for every complete 24-hour period, up to a maximum of £1,500.
Or, if after 24 hours it becomes necessary to make alternative arrangements to get to your destination or return home, such as due to airspace or port closure, you can claim up to £1,000 to cover necessary additional travel expenses.
If you arrive at your final departure point too late to board the ship, plane or train that you’re booked to travel on, we will cover you up to £1,000 for the extra accommodation and travel costs you’ll have to pay to reach your final destination. Your reason for lateness must be due to:
- Failure of scheduled public transport services, such as train cancellations; or
- Delay to a connecting scheduled flight; or
- Being involuntarily denied boarding onto your flight (because it was overbooked); or
- The vehicle you were travelling in to reach your departure point broke down or was involved in an accident.
If you have to abandon your trip due to unforeseen circumstances outside of your control, we will cover you for up to £10,000 to pay for any irrecoverable unused travel and accommodation (including pre-paid excursions), and other pre-paid charges.
Your Saga Travel Insurance policy would also cover you for any additional travel expenses, such as a new flight ticket home.
More information on what to do in cases of travel disruption.
Insurance can be complicated. Visit our frequently asked questions page for some helpful answers to commonly asked questions.
Saga Travel Assistance helpline
Our Travel Assistance service is there to help you and provide 24-hour worldwide support including:
- How to replace lost or stolen passports, driving licences, air tickets, or other travel documents
- How to trace your luggage if it is lost or delayed
- Why, how, where and when you should contact local embassies or consulates
- How to transfer money from the UK if you need it
- Guidance for you and relatives, friends or employers if you are unfortunately enough to go into hospital plus a ‘phone home’ service
- A translation and interpretation service if you need it.
A fast, efficient claims service
We hope your holiday goes without a hitch and you don’t have to make a claim, but if you do:
- You’ll only pay one excess for your whole claim. This means that if your claim involves multiple sections of your policy – such as missed departure, baggage and medical treatment – you will only need to pay the excess once
- All our claims advisers are based in the UK and there are no automated telephone menus
- We aim to ensure that every claim is dealt with quickly and with minimum fuss.
Find out more about our claims process.
Visit our reviews page to see what customers have been saying about our cover and customer service.
Our Trustpilot score is based solely on customer reviews and it's a combined score for all our products.
Buying a policy
If you are likely to be taking more than one trip a year or you are travelling for more than 30 consecutive days then you may find that our annual multi-trip travel insurance policy is more cost effective than taking out a separate single trip policy each time you travel.
The advantage of annual multi-trip insurance is that cancellation cover is already in place should you want to go on a last minute holiday or city break.
If you only take the occasional trip, whether in the UK or overseas, you may find a single trip policy more suitable. Our single trip travel insurance is for trips up to 120 days in length and covers cancellations, medical expenses and much more.
With a Saga Travel Insurance policy, cancellation cover starts from the date you take out the policy or book the trip. In the unfortunate event that you have to cancel your holiday, our policy can offer up to £10,000 cancellation cover. Maintaining continuous cover with an annual policy could give you the freedom to book last minute trips.
At Saga we offer comprehensive cover to suit your needs when travelling. To enable us to do this we require details of your medical health so that we can assess whether we can offer insurance to suit your needs.
Yes, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is not a substitute for travel insurance – it is complementary to it. An EHIC or GHIC does not cover you for all the medical costs that you can incur or for repatriation, lost baggage or cancellations.
You can cancel your policy within 14 days of either the date of purchase of the policy or the date of receiving your policy documents, whichever is latest.
- If your cover (including cancellation cover) has not commenced, you will be entitled to a full refund
- If your cover (including cancellation cover) has commenced we will give you a pro rata refund of premium based on the cover you have already had
- If you wish to make a claim or have made a claim already, no refund of premium will be given
- You cannot cancel your policy if the trip return date is within 30 days of the policy start date
- If you cancel your policy after the 14 day cooling off period, no refund of premium will be given.
Yes, Saga is listed on the Money Advice Service Travel Adviser Directory as a company that may be able to help if you have a serious medical condition. You can find out more about this service and view the full directory by visiting the Travel Adviser Directory.
Eligibility and cover
Policyholders must be aged 50 or over. There is no upper age limit and other travellers added to your policy can be of any age.
No, we can offer cover no matter who you book your holiday with.
No, Saga only covers round trips that start in and return to the United Kingdom.
Unfortunately we would not be able to provide you with cover - our policies only cover UK residents.
Yes, it is not compulsory to take out the insurance offered by travel agents or tour operators and you have the right to shop elsewhere if you so wish. However, they may ask you to prove that you have sufficient cover for the trip in question by asking for your policy number and cover details.
Yes, if they are listed on an annual multi-trip policy they can travel independently and still benefit from the same cover as you. This does not apply to single trip policies.
Saga Travel Insurance customers can select from 3 levels of excess to pay in the event of a claim:
Please see our summary of cover section for details of when an excess is applicable.
No, our policy covers money and baggage as standard within the overall price of the policy.
Our policy covers over 40 different activities as standard. See our leisure and winter sports activities for a list.
We are able to extend up to 90 days if you are travelling anywhere outside the U.S.A., Canada or any Caribbean Islands. If travelling to these countries the maximum duration is 45 days or alternatively 120 days under a single trip policy.
Saga Travel Assistance is a helpline service that helps you sort out all kinds of travel problems before you go and while you are away, from information on the country you are visiting to advice and guidance on how to replace lost or stolen passports, luggage and travel documents.
Taking out travel insurance before you go abroad is not a legal requirement, although some tour operators may insist that you have evidence of a valid travel insurance policy. However, it does protect you against medical treatment costs which are much higher than we pay in the UK, as well as providing cancellation cover, and other benefits. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing you are covered against the unexpected whilst abroad.
If you're a Saga Travel Insurance policyholder and you need to make changes to your policy, you can contact us on 0800 056 9200 or 01843 343 203.
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 6:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm
If you need to get in touch with us for any other reason, please visit our contact us page.