Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Find answers to our most commonly asked care funding questions.

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to some of the questions we are most often asked. If you have other questions and would like to speak to a member of the care funding team, please call the Saga Care Funding Advice Service, provided by HUB Financial Solutions Limited, on  0800 096 8703. Lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

You can also find out more about the service and fees on the Important Information page.

If your Local Authority arranges for you to receive care from professional carers in your own home, they will assess your income and assets to decide whether you have to contribute towards the cost. The Local Authority can set its own criteria for means-testing, but they cannot be more stringent than would apply for residential care.

If you make your own arrangements for home care directly with a care provider, you will be expected to pay for it yourself. You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance or direct payments from your Local Authority to help towards the cost.

Your Local Authority has specially trained staff who can assess the level and type of care you need, and advise on how to arrange it.

The assessment process differs slightly between Local Authorities, but will usually involve a home visit by an assessor. They will go through a list of questions designed to establish what your specific difficulties are and what might help you overcome them. They will also ask you what and how much help you think would be useful, to get an idea of your preferences.

After this assessment has taken place, the Local Authority can then go on to consider your financial situation and whether or not you will be eligible for help with care costs. This will include a means test that takes your income and assets into account.

If you own a property it will usually be included in your assets for the means test. However, there are a number of factors that mean it shouldn't be included, such as:

  • Your partner still lives in the property
  • A relative aged 60 or over still lives in the property.

There are some other circumstances when a property, or its full value, cannot be included in the means test. It's a good idea to get expert advice if your property is going to be included in the means test.

There are two common benefits available for anyone who requires care, whether or not they are paying for it themselves. These are Attendance Allowance and NHS-funded Nursing Care. Claiming benefits can be quite complex, so it may help to talk matters through with an expert. If you would like help from the Saga Care Funding Advice Service, provided by HUB Financial Solutions, please call  0800 096 8703. Lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Calls will be monitored for training and regulatory purposes.